Friday, August 21, 2009

war of the sauces

green tomatoes, bad idea


i came home from work monday night to an amazing smell in our place. my husband had made tomato sauce with ingredients from our garden. we tried his sauce over whole wheat pasta at midnight, i was in heaven. i always thought i was fine with preggo, i was wrong. it was fresh and perfect. tuesday i decided to make some sauces of my own. i planned on making a green and red sauce. neither turned out well. i thought i am a good cook, how could this happen? so i interviewed my husband to find out his secrets!

j- hi will, its me your wife.
b- hi wife.
j- are you ready for your interview?
b- yep.
j- you had a recent success in the kitchen, can you tell me about it?
b- i put an heirloom tomato, onion, minced garlic, and a habanero in our food processor and put it in a sauce pan. at first it was pink then turned to red. i put the lid half on and half off to thicken it. i then mixed in salt, pepper, olive oil and brown sugar, a 1/4 cup at most. then added some garlic powder and seasoned salt. let it continue to simmer on low heat for awhile. then my wife came home. oh wait! i forgot i added oregano, basil and parsley.
j- so why did my sauce fail?
b- you are not generous enough with spices. you used green tomatoes and you needed to let it simmer longer. you need to let the tomatoes do the talking.
j- ok thanks. so does this mean you'll be cooking more?
b- um, its a time factor. my mental state keeps me from cooking. i hope to at minimum cook dinner for my wife.
j- well then, whats your favorite meal your wife makes?
b- the one i always make noises for when i eat it.
j- you do that at all your meals.
b- i forget, there are too many. i'll have to get back to you.
j- i think you liked the chicken kiev and cashew broccoli.
b- oh yea, that was really good. awesome combination.
j- anything else you would like to add?
b- {i will do you a favor and not tell you what he said}

the red mess

1 comment: